The parting





Another summer comes slowly to an end by way of sending our kids back to school, our older ones off to college and our selves back into the rhythm of the working routine.
Today I am sad; my second oldest boy had to fly back to Europe, back to his life and studies, so far away from us. We will miss him dearly. 
Every parting pulls on my heart and in these moments I reflect on distances and our wants and wishes. 
But it is as nature has intended it: The young ones need to go off without us, learn on their own terms and we need to let them go!
There is the driving and packing, hugging and kissing, tears and laughter, last minute advise and the hope for phone calls.
Although my older children have been away from me for long, it's the same every time never the less: 
My motherly instinct comes forward and for seconds I imagine them lost without me...
But no, they will do fine, they will call and they will go on without me!
I am happy to have such loving children, strong and independent, full of life!
I tell them often how much I love them! 
That is what they need to hear!


I feel a little lost too at these times, but I will go on as well, looking forward to reunions and the sweet moments of arrivals home!
The texts written and received and the hour long talks, walks around the block and the meals cooked together!
To listen to their adventures, the news, the heart breaks and the victories, the tough decisions and the battles lost!
They need us to be there, in the distance, but ready!


There is so much to look forward to!
Good speed, my boy and wonderful beginnings!




“Our battered suitcases were piled on the sidewalk again; we had longer ways to go. But no matter, the road is life.” – Jack Kerouac




0 comments:

Post a Comment